Weekend Getaway on the Outer BanksApril 3, 2018 3:39 pm
Welcome Spring! The Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront Hotel is the place to stay during your Weekend Getaway to the Outer Banks. Reserve your room now to enjoy a relaxing or activity packed weekend on your favorite barrier island. Check-in on Friday and stay until Monday morning to maximize your time on the beach. We have compiled a sampling of Weekend Getaway activities for families, friends and couples. Enjoy!
Weekend Getaway April 27th Friday – April 30th Monday
- Dennis Anderson’s Muddy Motorsports Park opens its season with the 7th Annual Spring Sling on Saturday, April 28 at 1 pm. High flying, action packed mud racing featuring kids’ power wheel races, autocross, tough trucks, and side by side mega truck racing. Weston Anderson will be driving the Bog Hog and Dennis Anderson will be racing in the King Sling!! Vendors and concessions available. Bleacher seating available or bring you own chairs and shade. $15 per person, kids 10 years old and under are free.
- The Duck & Wine Festival, April 28 from 12 to 3 p.m. at the Duck Waterfront Shops. This an annual fundraising event in which each chef creates a dish prepared from duck donated by Maple Leaf Farms and pairs it with a wine selected by Coastal Cantina. Judged by both a panel and event participants, the prize money awarded to the winning chefs is allocated to local nonprofits of their choosing. Even though this ticketed event is sold out for 2018, Coastal Cantina will donate $1 per bottle of wine purchased this weekend to the charitable beneficiaries and the Duck Waterfront Shops will be offering discounts all weekend.
Weekend Getaway May 4th Friday – 7th Monday
- Eastern Surfing Association (ESA) Mid-Atlantic Regionals, May 4 – 6, Jeannette’s Pier, Nags Head. The ESA is the largest amateur surfing association in the world. The family-oriented programs promote a healthy and active lifestyle. It is not uncommon to find two or three generations of the same family involved as members, still actively competing in our program.
- Dare County Relay for Life, May 5th, 12 noon to 10 pm. Cancer survivors and caregivers are the heart and soul of Relay for Life events. We honor their strength and courage with every step they take. It doesn’t matter if you were diagnosed 10 days ago or 10 years ago, you can walk while the community gathers together to cheer you on. It will be held in Kill Devil Hills, NC at the First Flight High School football field/track. If you can’t attend, please consider donating to the cause.
Weekend Getaway May 11th Friday – 14th Monday (Mother’s Day Weekend)
- The 11th Annual Kidsfest will be held on Friday, May 11th, 9:30 – 12:30 pm at Roanoke Island Festival Park in Manteo. KidsFest will be a morning of hands-on crafts and activities for young children. At this FREE event there will be fire trucks, EMS & police vehicles, the US Coast Guard, face painting, bubbles, ice cream, snowballs, music, arts and crafts, and much, much more.
- 34th Nags Heads Woods 5k Race! The traditional 5K race starts at 8 am on Saturday, May 13th. At 7:45 am, there’s the Fun Run 1-Miler for kids of all ages. The 5K course for both races is an out-and-back course that covers gently rolling terrain on hard-packed dirt in the woods. Cheer for Mom as she competes for the “Fastest Mom on the Beach” trophy! North Banks Rotary Club, in partnership with Outer Banks Kiwanis Club, hosts the race. All net proceeds go to support local charities, youth programs, and military relief charities. For the true enthusiast, when one 5K just isn’t enough, join us for an early run at 7 am – the Nags Heads Woods Double. The after-race beach party and buffet start at 11:00 AM at the Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront Hotel. Entry to the after-party is complimentary for 5K runners. Cost for all other attendees is $15 for ages 21 and over and $10 for ages 6-20.
Weekend Getaway May 18th Friday – 21st Monday
- 46th Annual Hang Gliding Spectacular! Join professional hang gliders, fans, and families at Jockey’s Ridge State Park for this Outer Banks tradition. This event is the longest running hang gliding competition in the world! The Hang Gliding Spectacular will run from May 17th through May 20th with competitions each day. The Hang Gliding Spectacular is FREE TO THE PUBLIC FOR VIEWING with fun activities all day long.
- Third Annual Shred Fest, May 19th at The Soundside Event Site in Nags Head, is an annual fundraiser for Dare2Care OBX that builds awareness for Veterans and encourages inclusion for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) in the Outer Banks community, while supporting programs for these groups.
- The 11th Annual Worldwide Go Topless Day® for Jeep owners is May 19th to celebrate that “Jeep Thing” to bring together the worldwide community of Jeep owners. Don’t own a jeep? No problem; there are several companies that provide jeep rentals or excursions in jeep-like safari vehicles for off-roading on the Outer Banks.
Weekend Getaway May 25th Friday – 28th Monday (Memorial Day Weekend)
- H2OBX Water Park in Powells Point opens May 25th! Explore more than 30 rides, slides, and attractions at the newest waterpark on the Outer Banks. If relaxation is more your speed, spend a leisurely day enjoying our resort-style amenities. Experience inspired shopping and dining options as you take in spectacular OBX views.
- OBX Ghost Tours kicks off the 2018 season on Saturday, May 26, 7:30 pm. You’ll be entertained as a guide leads you through down town Manteo by lantern telling the spooky stories that makes The Outer Banks one of the most haunted beaches in America! This is the only Outer Bank’s Ghost Tour that uses Ghost Detectors!
Weekend Getaway June 1st Friday – 4th Monday
- Join us for the 43rd Dare Day Festival on Saturday, June 2, 9 am – 6 pm. Held on the Manteo waterfront where arts, crafts, entertainment, and family fun bring the community and visitors together. The festival’s music kicks off at 11 am with the original Rhondels on the Downtown stage. Not to be missed at this year’s Dare Day is Hogway Speedway Racing Pigs, the Anything that Floats but a Boat Race, Raingutter Regatta, Cake and Pie Blue-Ribbon Competition. New this year is the Kids Zone, kiddie rides! As the sun sets, listen to live music featuring the North Tower Band at the Boathouse stage along the waterfront boardwalk.
There is simply no shortage of events during Spring on the Outer Banks. Most of the locally owned restaurants have LIVE music every Friday and Saturday afternoon/evening, either inside or on their party decks outside or both! Outer Banks Distilling offers tours of its operations every Friday at 1 pm; and every Saturday at 1 and 3 pm, reservations are required, participants must be 21 years of age or older and the cost is $10 per person. http://outerbanksdistilling.com Whether your Weekend Getaway includes a group of friends, the entire family, or a couples only weekend, there is something for everyone on the Outer Banks NC. Reserve your room today to experience all that our barrier island has to offer.